Keltec KS7

Moderator: eek

Fine Kettle Of Fish

Keltec KS7

Unread post by Fine Kettle Of Fish »

Anybody have direct experience with this weapon?

I'm in the market for a short (but not NFA) 12ga specifically for home defense. I'm left handed, and honestly I have no desire to fire a 12g with a bird's eye or pistol grip.

The KS7 seems to be the best overall config for me ergonomically (based on an hour's worth of reading, haha), but I'm curious if anyone here has ever actually used one - or has any other advice regarding weapon choice for defense in a relatively small house with neighbors.
Cornfed

Re: Keltec KS7

Unread post by Cornfed »

I have not held or shot one of those, but I do believe a shouldered shotgun is the best home defense weapon one can have. I would prefer semi-automatic over pump-action (highly debatable, just my preference) and a mounted tactical light. As far as that KS7 is concerned, the only thing I don't like is the carry handle obscuring the line of sight, but that's just another personal preference. Overall, it looks like a really solid choice. As always, try to find a local retailer who has one you can hold, shoulder, and hopefully run a few rounds through before purchasing.

Now, with all that said - a garage sale grade 12ga. with the barrel "shortened" considerably is the ideal choice, but those can be problematic with the feds and your local sheriff :lol:
Fine Kettle Of Fish

Unread post by Fine Kettle Of Fish »

Cornfed wrote: September 17th, 2022, 10:41 am I have not held or shot one of those, but I do believe a shouldered shotgun is the best home defense weapon one can have. I would prefer semi-automatic over pump-action (highly debatable, just my preference) and a mounted tactical light. As far as that KS7 is concerned, the only thing I don't like is the carry handle obscuring the line of sight, but that's just another personal preference. Overall, it looks like a really solid choice. As always, try to find a local retailer who has one you can hold, shoulder, and hopefully run a few rounds through before purchasing.

Now, with all that said - a garage sale grade 12ga. with the barrel "shortened" considerably is the ideal choice, but those can be problematic with the feds and your local sheriff :lol:
It's gotta be shouldered for me. I fucked up my wrist badly a number of years ago and ever since I can sprain it very easily. I can shoot a pistol - at least a 9mm - because I can brace with both hands. But using a pistol effectively in a panic situation with adrenaline popping out of my eyeballs takes a lot of training that I don't have.

The bottom eject and top safety are big items for me as I'm left handed. My bird gun is a Browning BPS chosen specifically for those features.

Hell, I don't really want the gun even. But although my street has been quiet so far, the crime from the neighboring burbs which are not as pleasant is starting to creep my way. People are reporting doors being tried in the middle of the night and at least one that was flat out kicked in within a mile of me. Time to get proactive.

Thanks for the opinion. My firearm knowledge is kinda light outside the few hunting arms I personally own already. Yeah, I'm a Fudd - but I ain't gonna be a victim.
rufus

Unread post by rufus »

The Keltec will have a totally different feel than anything else. It's got a lot of parts and pieces made of polymer. This isn't bad, just different. It won't have the fit and feel of your Browning. That said, they always go bang, and that's what's needed on a self defense shotgun. By the way, own two Keltecs and happy with both.