The Jupiter Enigma, a video...

Moderator: eek

Gamle-ged

The Jupiter Enigma, a video...

Unread post by Gamle-ged »

Excellent! Contains detailed information on the original of planets en toto, our own solar system in particular.

Jupiter contains 70% of the material in our solar system, excluding the Sun, with a material composition very close to that of Sol.
Our solar system is very different from other nearby systems which have "hot Jupiter's" and mega earths twice the size and mass of our Earth.

There are three or four different videos, the one I refer to above is on Amazon Prime...
Members who post offending personal crap toward members, either initiating or responding in a like manner... Shouldn't! “Si vis pacem, para bellum
fools_gold

Re: The Jupiter Enigma, a video...

Unread post by fools_gold »

Thanks! I put it on my Watchlist.
"It is the pity of the world that we must come to wisdom from fire. Why can no man learn wisdom from another?"
Nero

Unread post by Nero »

Gamle-ged wrote: August 30th, 2021, 11:11 am Excellent! Contains detailed information on the original of planets en toto, our own solar system in particular.

Jupiter contains 70% of the material in our solar system, excluding the Sun, with a material composition very close to that of Sol.
Our solar system is very different from other nearby systems which have "hot Jupiter's" and mega earths twice the size and mass of our Earth.

There are three or four different videos, the one I refer to above is on Amazon Prime...
My watchlist too. The Expanse is one of my favorite sci fi shows and a lot of it takes place on inner the moons of Jupiter: Ganymede, Io, Callisto and Europa.
Altogether Jupiter has 53 named moons and 26 unnamed moons.
realclearpolitics.com: Biden Job Approval: (10/13-10/26)--42.3% Approve/52.1% Disapprove
Gamle-ged

Unread post by Gamle-ged »

Nero wrote: August 30th, 2021, 7:30 pm My watchlist too. The Expanse is one of my favorite sci fi shows and a lot of it takes place on inner the moons of Jupiter: Ganymede, Io, Callisto and Europa.
Altogether Jupiter has 53 named moons and 26 unnamed moons.
Jupiter's "Grand Tack"...

Jupiter, long settled in its position as the fifth planet from our sun, was a rolling stone in its youth. Over the eons, the giant planet roamed toward the center of the solar system and back out again, at one point moving in about as close as Mars is now. The planet's travels profoundly influenced the solar system, changing the nature of the asteroid belt and making Mars smaller than it should have been. These details are based on a new model of the early solar system developed by an international team that includes NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. The work is being reported in a Nature paper posted on June 5, 2011.

"We refer to Jupiter's path as the Grand Tack, because the big theme in this work is Jupiter migrating toward the sun and then stopping, turning around, and migrating back outward," says the paper's first author, Kevin Walsh of the Southwest Research Institute in Boulder, Colo. "This change in direction is like the course that a sailboat takes when it tacks around a buoy."

According to the new model, Jupiter formed in a region of space about three-and-a-half times as far from the sun as Earth is (3.5 astronomical units). Because a huge amount of gas still swirled around the sun back then, the giant planet got caught in the currents of flowing gas and started to get pulled toward the sun. Jupiter spiraled slowly inward until it settled at a distance of about 1.5 astronomical units—about where Mars is now. (Mars was not there yet.)

"We theorize that Jupiter stopped migrating toward the sun because of Saturn," says Avi Mandell, a planetary scientist at NASA Goddard and a co-author on the paper. The other co-authors are Alessandro Morbidelli at the Observatoire de la Cote d'Azur in Nice, France; Sean Raymond at the Observatoire de Bordeaux in France; and David O'Brien at the Planetary Science Institute in Tucson, Ariz.

Like Jupiter, Saturn got drawn toward the sun shortly after it formed, and the model holds that once the two massive planets came close enough to each other, their fates became permanently linked. Gradually, all the gas in between the two planets got expelled, bringing their sun-bound death spiral to a halt and eventually reversing the direction of their motion. The two planets journeyed outward together until Jupiter reached its current position at 5.2 astronomical units and Saturn came to rest at about 7 astronomical units. (Later, other forces pushed Saturn out to 9.5 astronomical units, where it is today.)

The effects of these movements, which took hundreds of thousands to millions of years, were extraordinary.

(And more at link)...

https://www.nasa.gov/topics/solarsystem ... piter.html
Members who post offending personal crap toward members, either initiating or responding in a like manner... Shouldn't! “Si vis pacem, para bellum
Nero

Unread post by Nero »

Thanks for that!!! :D
Can't wait to watch the show.
realclearpolitics.com: Biden Job Approval: (10/13-10/26)--42.3% Approve/52.1% Disapprove