So, The Expanse is over...

Moderators: Gamle-ged, Boadicea, eek

Fine Kettle Of Fish

So, The Expanse is over...

Unread post by Fine Kettle Of Fish »

Finished the last book over the holidays, the series just ended.

I have been living with these characters for 6 years... it really does feel like a group of friends is moving far away.
Docbroke

Re: So, The Expanse is over...

Unread post by Docbroke »

A couple of left open threads: the proto-molecule, the entities, filip and those dogs.

A perfect setup for a new series or a movie. All in all a great series.

How are the books?
‘I just want to find 11,780 votes’
Fine Kettle Of Fish

Books are phenomenal - all 9 of them and the novellas/short stories.

They stopped well short of telling the whole tale in the show, mostly because there's a 30-year time gap between two of the novels.

There's much more story after involving Duarte, Laconia, and the actions of the Strange Dogs. I am absolutely confident they would at least like to do a movie down the line. Otherwise the whole plot line of the dogs and their abilities (which took a fair chunk of screen time and a whole lot of set building) served no purpose.
Nero

Unread post by Nero »

Fine Kettle Of Fish wrote: January 15th, 2022, 12:58 pm Books are phenomenal - all 9 of them and the novellas/short stories.

They stopped well short of telling the whole tale in the show, mostly because there's a 30-year time gap between two of the novels.

There's much more story after involving Duarte, Laconia, and the actions of the Strange Dogs. I am absolutely confident they would at least like to do a movie down the line. Otherwise the whole plot line of the dogs and their abilities (which took a fair chunk of screen time and a whole lot of set building) served no purpose.
Didn't read the previous posts. Worried about spoilers as I haven't started season 6 yet.
But I thought I would add this: "The Expanse: The Possibility of a Season 7 or Sequel Series
As The Expanse wraps up on Amazon Prime Video, we look at the possibilities—from a Season 7 to a sequel series—that exist for its future."
https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/the-expans ... el-series/
realclearpolitics.com: Biden Job Approval: (12/17-1/12) 41.8% Approve/53.2% Disapprove
Fine Kettle Of Fish

Nero wrote: January 15th, 2022, 5:29 pm Worried about spoilers as I haven't started season 6 yet.
Well, get on it then! :) And when you do watch it, make sure to hit the up arrow on your firestick remote sometime while the show is playing (or whatever it is on your system that gets you into "x-ray" mode). There's little 2-5 minute videos attached to the first five episodes that are pretty interesting. And thanks for the article, even though it's actually quite depressing.
Honestly, it’s hard to imagine The Expanse continuing on in its current format, given that it more or less proved itself unviable as a commercial property at both SyFy and Amazon Prime Video.
It boggles my mind that one after another crappy Star Wars spinoffs can make money but this show did not.
Nero

Unread post by Nero »

Fine Kettle Of Fish wrote: January 15th, 2022, 6:01 pm It boggles my mind that one after another crappy Star Wars spinoffs can make money but this show did not.
I KNOW, right?
There's a YouTube video of a working astrophysicist reacting to Season One, Episode One. She was all prepared to laugh at the show but ended up being impressed with the attention to scientific detail, except for the fact that there are no sounds in space. As I remember, that was her only criticism.
realclearpolitics.com: Biden Job Approval: (12/17-1/12) 41.8% Approve/53.2% Disapprove