What the HELL?

Moderators: Gamle-ged, Boadicea

oflguy

What the HELL?

Unread post by oflguy »

UFC

I ate at a restaurant last night and it came on the TV after the baseball game I was watching. Normally, I would just change the channel if I was home but my food had come and I was not going to move.

What brutality. Apparently, there are no rules. They fight each other in a cage (appropriate) and try to kill each other. By the time they finished throwing elbows in each other's faces (they wound up on the ground) the mat was soaked with blood. One of them had blood gushing from his chest. You'd think they would stop it at that point but the match continued.

I can't believe people pay money to watch this carnage.
Charlie Mike

Re: What the HELL?

Unread post by Charlie Mike »

Where have you been for the last 3 decades?
Boadicea

Unread post by Boadicea »

oflguy wrote: June 2nd, 2024, 3:25 pm UFC

I ate at a restaurant last night and it came on the TV after the baseball game I was watching. Normally, I would just change the channel if I was home but my food had come and I was not going to move.

What brutality. Apparently, there are no rules. They fight each other in a cage (appropriate) and try to kill each other. By the time they finished throwing elbows in each other's faces (they wound up on the ground) the mat was soaked with blood. One of them had blood gushing from his chest. You'd think they would stop it at that point but the match continued.

I can't believe people pay money to watch this carnage.
Women fight like this too. Google Ronda Rousey
oflguy

Unread post by oflguy »

Boadicea wrote: June 3rd, 2024, 11:44 am Women fight like this too. Google Ronda Rousey
If I never see another one of those animalistic "fights" it's ok with me.

When I was in grade school, there were two brothers in my class. Their father used to be a prize fighter. He was a vegetable. The lights were on, but was nobody was home, like Muhammed Ali. The poor man had been hit in the head so many times he was lost to humanity. His two sons never spoke...never uttered a word in class....to anybody, anytime. They were screwed up too, just being in the same house with their father. They lived in the block down the street and my friends and I would see them in the neighborhood, but they never played with anyone else.

We used to have a local Saturday morning TV program for kids called Popeye & Pals. "Uncle Henry" used to host it, and they featured Popeye cartoons for kids to watch on Saturday mornings. Local groups like the Cub Scouts would go on the program, and one time our group was on the show. Between cartoons, Uncle Henry would walk among the kids on the set and ask them their names.

Yeah, you guessed it, Uncle Henry stuck the microphone in one of the brother's faces and asked him his name, to which the kid just sat there mum.

Me, sitting directly behind him, blurted out, with cameras rolling, HE DOESN'T TALK.

This UFC stuff is 10 times more violent than prize fighting ever was or is. I'm not one bit interested in it.
Last edited by oflguy on June 3rd, 2024, 1:55 pm, edited 8 times in total.
oflguy

Unread post by oflguy »

Charlie Mike wrote: June 2nd, 2024, 11:28 pm Where have you been for the last 3 decades?
changing the channel on my own TV before the mat is saturated with blood.
Vercingetorix

Unread post by Vercingetorix »

oflguy wrote: June 3rd, 2024, 1:10 pm If I never see another one of those animalistic "fights" it's ok with me.
Believe it or not they are more civilized today than they used to be.
When I was in grade school, there were two brothers in my class. Their father used to be a prize fighter. He was a vegetable. The lights were on, but was nobody was home, like Muhammed Ali. The poor man had been hit in the head so many times he was lost to humanity. His two sons never spoke...never uttered a word in class....to anybody, anytime. They were screwed up too, just being in the same house with their father. They lived in the block down the street and my friends and I would see them in the neighborhood, but they never played with anyone else.

We used to have a local Saturday morning TV program for kids called Popeye & Pals. "Uncle Henry" used to host it, and they featured Popeye cartoons for kids to watch on Saturday mornings. Local groups like the Cub Scouts would go on the program, and one time our group was on the show. Between cartoons, Uncle Henry would walk among the kids on the set and ask them their names.

Yeah, you guessed it, Uncle Henry stuck the microphone in one of the brother's faces and asked him his name, to which the kid just sat there mum.

Me, sitting directly behind him, blurted out, with cameras rolling, HE DOESN'T TALK.

This UFC stuff is 10 times more violent than prize fighting ever was or is. I'm not one bit interested in it.
UFC isnt for everyone that is for sure. Kinda like the WNBA or soccer
Hachiko

Unread post by Hachiko »

There have been around 20 fighter deaths in all MMA including the UFC. There have been over 2000 boxing deaths. UFC only goes 3 rounds, 5 for championship fights while boxing goes 12 or 15 rounds. It’s the damage done over all those rounds that is deadly. Every boxing KO is a concussion and brain damage.
Charlie Mike

Unread post by Charlie Mike »