Like a chicken with its head cut off

Baron

Unread post by Baron »

That is a fairly common expression which makes no sense unless you looked it up or were raised on a farm.
It really is accurate. A chicken, when deprived of its head, will run about in random directions until the body realizes that it is actually dead.
When my brother was sent to fetch a chicken for supper, he would take the chicken to the stump in the chickenyard and use a hatchet to remove the head. When the chicken fell off the stump, it would immediately jump up and begin running in circles. Not for long, though.
My Mother was a more traditional farm woman. She would just grab the chicken by the head and spin it in repetitive circles until the two were separated. The body of the chicken would hit the ground nearby and immediately jump up and begin running in circles.
Also, not for long.
I don't think our chickens ever read Kipling.

Regards,
Baron
SatansSon666

Re: Like a chicken with its head cut off

Unread post by SatansSon666 »

I remember that stuff. Once when I was young, my uncle decided he'd just shoot the chickens in the head with a .410 close up. Well one of them moved his head but still fell over, then it got up and its beak was gone.
It was the funniest thing to me because it reminded me of how Daffy Duck looked with his bill shot off.
It's running around with no beak and he can't shoot it while it's running all over he's cursing, chasing it, pointing at it as it runs around waiting for it to stop.
It'll be stuck in my head until I'm dead.
Baron

Re: Like a chicken with its head cut off

Unread post by Baron »

SatansSon666 wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 9:02 pm I remember that stuff. Once when I was young, my uncle decided he'd just shoot the chickens in the head with a .410 close up. Well one of them moved his head but still fell over, then it got up and its beak was gone.
It was the funniest thing to me because it reminded me of how Daffy Duck looked with his bill shot off.
It's running around with no beak and he can't shoot it while it's running all over he's cursing, chasing it, pointing at it as it runs around waiting for it to stop.
It'll be stuck in my head until I'm dead.
Yeah, shooting with a .410 "close up" is about like shooting with a .45. Not much spread.

re: "It'll be stuck in my head until I'm dead."

It's funny how stuff like that gets "stuck in your head." I have a few of those -- not important, no relevance to anything, but there they are. Thousands of more important things have come and gone, but there they are, holding down their spot. Maybe in my next life I can be a brain scientist and figure out why.

Regards,
Baron