Prime Rib for Thanksgiving

Moderators: Gamle-ged, Boadicea

Steelydamned

Prime Rib for Thanksgiving

Unread post by Steelydamned »

Seasoning the Prime Rib today. Going to go ahead and make the oyster dressing today so it's ready to just put in the oven tomorrow.

Made a batch of fresh French Bread this weekend as practice cause it's been a while but it turned out great so that's the first thing tomorrow morning: bread dough.

Humans have been making bread in one form or another for like 30,000 years and yet, most people can't actually make it now.
Muddling Through

Re: Prime Rib for Thanksgiving

Unread post by Muddling Through »

Steelydamned wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 7:39 am Seasoning the Prime Rib today. Going to go ahead and make the oyster dressing today so it's ready to just put in the oven tomorrow.

Made a batch of fresh French Bread this weekend as practice cause it's been a while but it turned out great so that's the first thing tomorrow morning: bread dough.

Humans have been making bread in one form or another for like 30,000 years and yet, most people can't actually make it now.
Smoked/Brined Turkey here. I'll also make a pound cake; traveling to the wife's parents tonight.
Docbroke

Unread post by Docbroke »

Dry brining a turkey today. Sides are kugelis, dressing and green bean casserole.
Fine Kettle Of Fish

Unread post by Fine Kettle Of Fish »

Steelydamned wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 7:39 am Seasoning the Prime Rib today. Going to go ahead and make the oyster dressing today so it's ready to just put in the oven tomorrow.

I decided to do a Prime Rib at New Years for a treat... and yeah, I've been baking bread since I was a teenager - can't understand why it's a mystery to so many people...
FOIA

Unread post by FOIA »

Did the pilgrims have cows? :rofl:
Steelydamned

Fine Kettle Of Fish wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 9:11 am I decided to do a Prime Rib at New Years for a treat... and yeah, I've been baking bread since I was a teenager - can't understand why it's a mystery to so many people...
You know, when I tell people I make bread or post a pic of a fresh loaf on FB, people are amazed like it's some kind of lost art or arcane skill that's too difficult to attempt.

But if you make it, you quickly understand it's pretty damn simple and I don't even need a recipe anymore and do it by the look and feel of the dough.

I've discovered all one needs to do is add pineapple juice and you have Hawaiian Sweet bread. Add a bunch of egg yolks and you have Challah Bread. I've made flat bread and fry bread too.

There's a bakery in New Orleans where just about every Poor Boy shop gets their bread and to this day, it's the best French Bread I've ever had.

Mine is quite good but, nothing like theirs and I'll be damned if I can duplicate it.
Steelydamned

FOIA wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 9:42 am Did the pilgrims have cows? :rofl:
Not that I'm aware of but, if they did, they'd make Prime Rib :lol:
Fine Kettle Of Fish

Steelydamned wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 9:43 am
Mine is quite good but, nothing like theirs and I'll be damned if I can duplicate it.
There comes a point where the biggest difference is the ovens, and you can't really get past that.
Boadicea

Unread post by Boadicea »

I can make most anything, but bread and fried chicken are two things I haven’t mastered.
Fine Kettle Of Fish

Boadicea wrote: November 24th, 2022, 5:46 am I can make most anything, but bread and fried chicken are two things I haven’t mastered.
That is the first time in my life I have heard a Southern Woman say she hasn't mastered fried chicken! :)
Boadicea

Unread post by Boadicea »

Fine Kettle Of Fish wrote: November 24th, 2022, 7:09 am That is the first time in my life I have heard a Southern Woman say she hasn't mastered fried chicken! :)
Yep. I can’t do it.
Steelydamned

I can do fried chicken but don't very often cause it's a lot of work to do it right. Got to soak it in buttermilk for a day before so it's time consuming as hell.

I tell you though, I figured out the secret to this French Bread thing though based on some tips I read in a bakers forum.

Crusty, chewy Bread is only achieved in your home oven by spraying the dough down with water before baking, and once during. Did that yesterday and holy crap, it worked. It was perfect.
Fine Kettle Of Fish

Steelydamned wrote: November 25th, 2022, 9:28 am Crusty, chewy Bread is only achieved in your home oven by spraying the dough down with water before baking, and once during. Did that yesterday and holy crap, it worked. It was perfect.
Yeah, that kinda where I was going with the ovens... steam injection. Congrats!
Muddling Through

Unread post by Muddling Through »

Steelydamned wrote: November 25th, 2022, 9:28 am I can do fried chicken but don't very often cause it's a lot of work to do it right. Got to soak it in buttermilk for a day before so it's time consuming as hell.

I tell you though, I figured out the secret to this French Bread thing though based on some tips I read in a bakers forum.

Crusty, chewy Bread is only achieved in your home oven by spraying the dough down with water before baking, and once during. Did that yesterday and holy crap, it worked. It was perfect.
I'll have to make a note of that, should I ever try baking bread at home.

BTW , the turkey came out well.
Butchie-t

Unread post by Butchie-t »

This year was the first year in well over 25 years where I did not make a turkey for Thanksgiving. Just too much to unpack and get stored to mess with it. So, we will do turkey for Christmas, which we usually cook Prime Rib. So, maybe it will be Prime Rib for new years and then back to normal tradition in 2023.

We ended up going to a cafe that served Thanksgiving dinner, it worked. But not the same. I cook a damned good turkey and stuff that bad boy too. Screw all the namely-pamby's that cower in horror of such a thing.

Cheers,