To those of faith, did you teach your children that there was a Santa

Forum rules
Honest discussions pertaining to religion. Keep it civil. Posts meant to bash and mock will be deleted.
blue
Site Admin

To those of faith, did you teach your children that there was a Santa

Unread post by blue »

How did you differentiate between faith in a Savior vs. Santa?

(this is not a post to attack - will be deleted, you know the drill)

I think that is one area of parenting where I messed up.
Baron

Re: To those of faith, did you teach your children that there was a Santa

Unread post by Baron »

blue wrote: November 12th, 2021, 6:36 pm How did you differentiate between faith in a Savior vs. Santa?

I think that is one area of parenting where I messed up.
Blue,

Yes, my kids thought there was a Santa. Don't know that we "taught" them that, as much just allowed them to believe it for a while -- not long, because of my son. I don't think any harm was done.

I don't see a need to differentiate.

Take care,
Baron
monsignor

Re: To those of faith, did you teach your children that there was a Santa

Unread post by monsignor »

I never had any children, but as a child I was raised the traditional white middle-class small town way.

The difference being that I (along with my siblings as far as I know) was never taught anything but that St. Nicholas was simply an ancient personage, real or legendary, around whom many stories and traditions circled.

I don't recall ever thinking that "Santa Claus" had brought me the presents under the Christmas tree; I never questioned the source. They were something that was there, and I simply accepted them.

Much as I am the same way with God; God Is, and there's not a damned thing one can do about it, so best to simply accept and move on, either grudgingly or enthusiastically.
apres moi, le deluge