If you had a trillion dollars

Moderators: Gamle-ged, currentsitguy, Boadicea

Vercingetorix

Re: If you had a trillion dollars

Unread post by Vercingetorix »

monsignor wrote: May 7th, 2021, 8:33 pm I recall seeing a paragraph in a newsmagazine when I was in college that the $24 Peter Minuit paid the Indians for Manhattan back during the early 1600s was not the rip-off it appeared to be. Apparently if the Indians had invested the $24 in the stock market with rates of return equal to the actual ones, by the early 1970s they would've had more than what Manhattan Island (at the time; the early 1970s) was worth.
They only would have had to wait 200 years to start their investments. But cool
Vercingetorix

Nero wrote: May 7th, 2021, 8:39 pm So the CEOs of those companies have access to a trillion dollars and they could buy New York City, according to your thought excercise.
They would be heavily leveraged....they would have to suck another 20% out of the city to make the purchase worthwhile. You need a few more thought exercises
oflguy

Unread post by oflguy »

Nero wrote: May 7th, 2021, 8:39 pm So the CEOs of those companies have access to a trillion dollars and they could buy New York City, according to your thought excercise.
If you want to change the topic, start your own thread. You are attempting to highjack this one.

Besides, just because a company has a trillion in assets, that does not mean they can spend a trillion dollars, but that is a whole other topic. (the one you will start?)
I will NOT shut up and sit down like they want me to
Nero

Unread post by Nero »

oflguy wrote: May 7th, 2021, 8:43 pm If you want to change the topic, start your own thread. You are attempting to highjack this one.

Besides, just because a company has a trillion in assets, that does not mean they can spend a trillion dollars, but that is a whole other topic. (the one you will start?)
No one is going to sell or buy New York City, this is a fantasy exercise, as you said, to demonstrate how much a trillion dollars is.
realclearpolitics.com: Biden Job Approval: (5/18-6/10)--53.8% Approve/41.1% Disapprove
Vercingetorix

Nero wrote: May 7th, 2021, 9:06 pm No one is going to sell or buy New York City, this is a fantasy exercise, as you said, to demonstrate how much a trillion dollars is.
WOW!! That is your response? No one will buy Manhattan?? No shit?? No one has an unfettered Trillion lying atound to buy a section of the most important finance center in the world? Jesus man.
Nero

Unread post by Nero »

Vercingetorix wrote: May 8th, 2021, 9:43 am WOW!! That is your response? No one will buy Manhattan?? No shit?? No one has an unfettered Trillion lying atound to buy a section of the most important finance center in the world? Jesus man.
I think you might have forgotten the original post: "How much of the island of Manhattan could you buy today?"
realclearpolitics.com: Biden Job Approval: (5/18-6/10)--53.8% Approve/41.1% Disapprove
Vercingetorix

Nero wrote: May 8th, 2021, 1:38 pm I think you might have forgotten the original post: "How much of the island of Manhattan could you buy today?"
You forgot you included the idea of a leveraged purchase of companies as your retort?
Isidore

Unread post by Isidore »

oflguy wrote: June 12th, 2021, 6:47 pm I can't access it or find it in a search

WTF?
"On November 4th, you won’t hear about it anymore."
SatansSon666

Unread post by SatansSon666 »

Lmfao
Dost thou even hoist, brother?
Nero

Unread post by Nero »

WOW! Its so good to see this thread back and active again. I really missed it. :roll:
Nero

Unread post by Nero »

I'm going to put my thinking cap on now and really tighten the strap.................there.
If I had a TRILLION dollars I could buy 1000 billion worth of New York City. That means I could buy The Bronx, Staten Island, Brooklyn and Queens but not Manhattan. I'd need a second 1000 billion for the purchase of Manhattan.