Physician Assistant Convicted of Distributing Over 1.2 Million Opioid Pills

Moderator: uncledad

Forum rules
This is a heavily moderated forum. Should you see a post that is a one line zinger (not related to topic) or it becomes derailed (offshoots of a related topic are fine) or there is a post simply breaking the TOS, please notify a mod/admin and it will be removed.
uncledad

Physician Assistant Convicted of Distributing Over 1.2 Million Opioid Pills

Unread post by uncledad »

According to court documents and evidence presented at trial, physician assistant Charles Thompson, 76, of Houston, illegally prescribed and helped others illegally prescribe controlled substances to individuals posing as patients at West Parker Medical Clinic (West Parker) and Priority Wellness Clinic (Priority Wellness).

Trial evidence showed that from June 2015 through July 2016, while at West Parker, Thompson helped a doctor unlawfully prescribe hydrocodone and carisoprodol, a combination of controlled substances known as the “Las Vegas Cocktail,” to thousands of individuals posing as patients. Thompson himself also issued unlawful prescriptions for carisoprodol (a muscle relaxant).

So-called “runners” brought numerous people to pose as patients at West Parker and paid the clinic approximately $220 to $500 in cash for each visit that resulted in prescriptions for dangerous drugs. Throughout the scheme, West Parker made approximately $1.75 million from prescriptions, from which Thompson was paid over $208,000. A jury previously convicted James Pierre, the doctor who worked at West Parker, of unlawfully prescribing over one million opioid pills.

Thompson was convicted of one count of conspiracy to unlawfully distribute and dispense controlled substances and seven counts of unlawfully distributing and dispensing controlled substances in connection with his conduct at West Parker. He was convicted of one count of conspiracy to unlawfully distribute and dispense controlled substances and one count of unlawfully distributing and dispensing controlled substances in connection with his conduct at Priority Wellness. He is scheduled to be sentenced on Oct. 3 and faces up to 20 years in prison for each count of conviction. A federal district court judge will determine any sentence after considering the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines and other statutory factors.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/physicia ... ioid-pills
Bubba

Re: Physician Assistant Convicted of Distributing Over 1.2 Million Opioid Pills

Unread post by Bubba »

When I had a back injury, Dr. gave me a prescription for Hydrocodone. He said, "Just take half a pill, and don't drive."

I thought, "Bosh! I've taken pain killers before. I can handle it."

But he was right. Hydrocodone is very strong. Dunno if it's the strongest pain killer on the market; It's definitely the strongest one I've ever taken. Not familiar with Carisoprodol. Whatever it is, I think mixing it with Hydrocodone would be a bit much.
Charlie Mike

Unread post by Charlie Mike »

Bubba wrote: May 27th, 2022, 6:31 pm When I had a back injury, Dr. gave me a prescription for Hydrocodone. He said, "Just take half a pill, and don't drive."

But he was right. Hydrocodone is very strong. Dunno if it's the strongest pain killer on the market; It's definitely the strongest one I've ever taken. Not familiar with Carisoprodol. Whatever it is, I think mixing it with Hydrocodone would be a bit much.
I'm blessed with a metabolism that makes taking opioids such a horrendous experience that I refuse them. It may sound odd, but I'm grateful because I feel it spares me the risk of addiction.
uncledad

Unread post by uncledad »

Bubba wrote: May 27th, 2022, 6:31 pm When I had a back injury, Dr. gave me a prescription for Hydrocodone. He said, "Just take half a pill, and don't drive."

Tylenol with codeine is about it for me. Local anesthetic for anything else. Sedated for surgery and I'm out for 8 to 10 hours more or less. I heal pretty fast.
Fine Kettle Of Fish

Unread post by Fine Kettle Of Fish »

After a minor surgery a number of years ago, both my physicians and myself learned that I have some weird natural resistance to opiates. They just don't affect me to the degree they affect most people. They had to dose me into the next week to cut through the pain. Also, I pretty much didn't get "high" off of them really. I suppose that's a good thing.