Baltimore prosecutor Marilyn Mosby denies federal charges over her finances

Moderator: uncledad

Forum rules
This is a heavily moderated forum. Should you see a post that is a one line zinger (not related to topic) or it becomes derailed (offshoots of a related topic are fine) or there is a post simply breaking the TOS, please notify a mod/admin and it will be removed.
Gamle-ged

Baltimore prosecutor Marilyn Mosby denies federal charges over her finances

Unread post by Gamle-ged »

Marilyn Mosby is maintaining her innocence a day after a federal indictment was filed, accusing the Baltimore state's attorney of perjury and other crimes. On Thursday, the U.S. Attorney's Office in Maryland announced a federal grand jury had indicted Mosby, 41, on four federal charges of perjury and making false mortgage applications relating to the purchases of two vacation homes in Florida.

"I am innocent of the charges that have been levied against me and I intend to fight with every ounce in my being," Mosby said as she read from a prepared statement in downtown Baltimore on Friday. She didn't take questions from reporters.

The indictment is likely going to be a major shadow on Mosby's career. These charges come as she seeks a third term as Baltimore State's Attorney.

Prosecutors say Mosby lied in vacation home transactions

Mosby lied about meeting certain qualifications in order to withdraw large sums of money from her city retirement plan, according to federal prosecutors. Mosby claimed she qualified under a coronavirus-relief program in 2020 in order to take that money out.

But that CARES Act program was meant for people struggling financially, which prosecutors say Mosby and her family were not. The indictment states Mosby's gross salary that year was nearly $250,000 and was never reduced due to the pandemic.
Prosecutors say Mosby then used the money for a down payment on a vacation home in Kissimmee, Fla. Further, prosecutors allege, Mosby also lied on application forms for mortgages to purchase the home in Kissimmee as well as a condominium in Long Boat Key, Fla.

Mosby allegedly failed to disclose on either mortgage application for those properties that she had unpaid federal taxes from previous years, as required. Prosecutors say she also failed to state that the IRS placed a more than $45,000 lien on all property belonging to Mosby, and her husband, Nick Mosby. Her husband, who is the Baltimore City Council President, is not facing any charges.

Mosby said on Friday that she didn't defraud or lie to anyone while taking a withdrawal from her retirement account or in signing her mortgage applications.

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/14/10731492 ... e-indicted

You'd think that a government employee with a salary of a quarter mil would be smarter than that...
uncledad

Re: Baltimore prosecutor Marilyn Mosby denies federal charges over her finances

Unread post by uncledad »

Gamle-ged wrote: January 14th, 2022, 5:43 pm Marilyn Mosby is maintaining her innocence a day after a federal indictment was filed, accusing the Baltimore state's attorney of perjury and other crimes. On Thursday, the U.S. Attorney's Office in Maryland announced a federal grand jury had indicted Mosby, 41, on four federal charges of perjury and making false mortgage applications relating to the purchases of two vacation homes in Florida.

"I am innocent of the charges that have been levied against me and I intend to fight with every ounce in my being," Mosby said as she read from a prepared statement in downtown Baltimore on Friday. She didn't take questions from reporters.

The indictment is likely going to be a major shadow on Mosby's career. These charges come as she seeks a third term as Baltimore State's Attorney.

Prosecutors say Mosby lied in vacation home transactions

Mosby lied about meeting certain qualifications in order to withdraw large sums of money from her city retirement plan, according to federal prosecutors. Mosby claimed she qualified under a coronavirus-relief program in 2020 in order to take that money out.

But that CARES Act program was meant for people struggling financially, which prosecutors say Mosby and her family were not. The indictment states Mosby's gross salary that year was nearly $250,000 and was never reduced due to the pandemic.
Prosecutors say Mosby then used the money for a down payment on a vacation home in Kissimmee, Fla. Further, prosecutors allege, Mosby also lied on application forms for mortgages to purchase the home in Kissimmee as well as a condominium in Long Boat Key, Fla.

Mosby allegedly failed to disclose on either mortgage application for those properties that she had unpaid federal taxes from previous years, as required. Prosecutors say she also failed to state that the IRS placed a more than $45,000 lien on all property belonging to Mosby, and her husband, Nick Mosby. Her husband, who is the Baltimore City Council President, is not facing any charges.

Mosby said on Friday that she didn't defraud or lie to anyone while taking a withdrawal from her retirement account or in signing her mortgage applications.

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/14/10731492 ... e-indicted

You'd think that a government employee with a salary of a quarter mil would be smarter than that...
Crooked is as crooked does. A government official cheating ... failed to pay taxes ... lied on financial documents ... hijacked money from a federal program ... she has a good shot at a higher office ... just needs a few sex scandals ... a divorce or two ...
Gamle-ged

Re: Baltimore prosecutor Marilyn Mosby denies federal charges over her finances

Unread post by Gamle-ged »

uncledad wrote: January 14th, 2022, 10:10 pm Crooked is as crooked does. A government official cheating ... failed to pay taxes ... lied on financial documents ... hijacked money from a federal program ... she has a good shot at a higher office ... just needs a few sex scandals ... a divorce or two ...
Seasoned and experienced, as it were...