To people of faith, did you teach your kids that there was a Satan?

Forum rules
Honest discussions pertaining to religion. Keep it civil. Posts meant to bash and mock will be deleted.
SatansSon666

Re: To people of faith, did you teach your kids that there was a Satan?

Unread post by SatansSon666 »

Baron wrote: November 24th, 2021, 11:02 am In October and November, there have been 23 Original Posts in the Religious Dialogue section of this forum.
Of those, 4 were posted by four different members. None of them posted more than one.
The remaining 19 Original Posts were all by you!
Nineteen Original Posts either attacking religion or being critical of it -- all by you.

. . . that is a momentous cry for attention.

In some circles it is called "attention whoring."

Get well,
Baron
"In some circles"
I guess some caves are shaped like a circle.
Dost thou even hoist, brother?
Charlie Mike

Unread post by Charlie Mike »

SatansSon666 wrote: November 24th, 2021, 3:25 pm "In some circles"
I guess some caves are shaped like a circle.
🤔
I'm not here for peace. I have no interest in it. You had your chance. You will either cease, or it will get worse.
monsignor

Unread post by monsignor »

When talking of God and Satan, one is talking of two Forces infinite and all-reaching in their power.

Since they are infinite in nature, a fallible human being cannot describe them in humanly-understood forms or shapes or entities.

That's what I would teach my kids if I had any.....in addition to just because one can't see, hear, smell, touch, taste, or comprehend something, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
apres moi, le deluge
SatansSon666

monsignor wrote: November 24th, 2021, 5:46 pm When talking of God and Satan, one is talking of two Forces infinite and all-reaching in their power.

Since they are infinite in nature, a fallible human being cannot describe them in humanly-understood forms or shapes or entities.

That's what I would teach my kids if I had any.....in addition to just because one can't see, hear, smell, touch, taste, or comprehend something, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
It would also be good to tell them that it doesn't mean they do exist just because someone says so.
monsignor

Unread post by monsignor »

SatansSon666 wrote: November 24th, 2021, 6:38 pm It would also be good to tell them that it doesn't mean they do exist just because someone says so.
Well, this is obviously an unbridgeable chasm between the two of us.

Since Reality and all within it are infinite, and being fallible and finite, we humans have no idea whether something exists or not, and in the absence of any guarantee, best to freely accept all that we do not know.
apres moi, le deluge
SatansSon666

monsignor wrote: November 24th, 2021, 9:20 pm Well, this is obviously an unbridgeable chasm between the two of us.

Since Reality and all within it are infinite, and being fallible and finite, we humans have no idea whether something exists or not, and in the absence of any guarantee, best to freely accept all that we do not know.
You can't hoenstly teach one without the other.
Steelydamned

Unread post by Steelydamned »

Almost everything we think we know in modern times about Satan comes not from the Bible but instead from Milton's Paradise Lost and Dante's Divine Comedy (The Inferno).

Just about every modern interpretation of Satan - movies, books and TV - can be directly traced back to one of those epic tomes.

I have the 1866 printing of Paradise Lost with the illustrations by Gustave Dore. Most of these were destroyed by collectors who remove the illustrations separately to frame because the Art is just so good.
"Something profound and witty" - Famous Person Well Known for Profound Witty Quotes.
Charlie Mike

Unread post by Charlie Mike »

Steelydamned wrote: November 29th, 2021, 8:04 am I have the 1866 printing of Paradise Lost with the illustrations by Gustave Dore. Most of these were destroyed by collectors who remove the illustrations separately to frame because the Art is just so good.
I'm so jelli
I'm not here for peace. I have no interest in it. You had your chance. You will either cease, or it will get worse.
Steelydamned

Unread post by Steelydamned »

Charlie Mike wrote: November 29th, 2021, 10:15 am I'm so jelli
Online Estate Sale last year during peak COVID. Bid on a 1940 porcelain Public Telephone sign and won the bid. When I went to pick it up in New Orleans, there was a house full of stuff that wasn't listed also for sale including a room full of books.

Won the Telephone Sign for $80....ended up spending another $600 on antique books! :lol:
"Something profound and witty" - Famous Person Well Known for Profound Witty Quotes.